Looking for a good Italian meal that is traditional, yet still manages to go against the grain? Then, you’ve just got to try out this recipe for Eggplant Parmesan. Made with an assortment of spices, crunchy breadcrumbs, ooey-gooey mozzarella, and thick cuts of eggplant, this recipe is both delicious and satisfying. Plus, it’s super easy to make and is sure to please every member of your household – even the pickiest of eaters. Check out the ingredients list and directions below to get started.
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs, seasoned
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup spaghetti sauce
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Dried pasta, optional
- In a small bowl beat the egg and water together. Place the breadcrumbs in shallow dish. Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture then in crumbs, being sure to coat thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add eggplant slices and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown and tender.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over eggplant during last minute of cooking to melt.
- While eggplant is cooking, combine spaghetti sauce and pepper flakes in a microwave-safe measuring cup. Cover with plastic wrap and cook at high power for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Top eggplant with sauce and Parmesan cheese and serve. Note: If you choose to add pasta, prepare according to the ingredients on the box and serve with your Eggplant Parmesan!
Oxford at Santa Clara Apartments in Pflugerville, Texas