After a long day, it can be tempting to order take-out for dinner. Instead of settling, the team at Oxford at Santa Clara Apartments in Pflugerville, Texas would like to suggest this delicious and nutritious alternative!
So, what do you reach for tonight instead of the takeout? Well, that’s the big question, but if you’re a lover of spinach and artichoke, then we have the perfect recipe for you. You’ve probably heard of all kind of variations for the famous combination, from dips to stuffed breads, and now, you have this Spinach Artichoke Soup, too. With budget-friendly frozen spinach, artichoke hearts, and plenty of cream and cheese, this soup is hearty, fulfilling, and downright delicious. Serve it on its own or pair it with some French bread for the ultimate crunch. We just know that you’ll absolutely love it!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 9-ounce pkg. frozen chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, depending on how creamy you want the soup
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, plus additional 1/2 cup for garnish
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in frozen spinach. Stir often and break apart using a wooden spoon. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until spinach is warmed throughout. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir in flour, stirring well to avoid any lumps.
- Pour in chicken broth and artichoke hearts. Heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Turn heat to low. Add heavy cream. Stir together. Add cream cheese and let melt slowly. You want it to be at a low heat to prevent curdling.
- Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Season according to taste. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese shavings.