Social media is still a phenomenon that the human brain is still attempting to comprehend. Although these platforms were created to maintain relationships with friends, family members, and coworkers, it’s important to keep safety at the top of your list when engaging on these various social apps and websites. Whether you’re dealing with an online troll or hacker, these tips will help you prevent trouble and stay safe on social media.
- Use a strong password. Make it long and use a variety of characters. Be sure to differentiate your passwords between accounts.
- Set up your security questions and answers. Do not pick questions that someone could easily guess the answer to or that you’ll forget.
- If you have social media apps on your phone, be sure to password protect your device.
- Don’t accept or follow just anyone. Fake accounts are very common on social media sites, so be wary of anyone you come into contact with who is not a real-world acquaintance.
- Click links with caution. Keep in mind that social media accounts are regularly hacked, and millions of people are affected every year. If a post seems spammy, it probably is.
- Be careful about what you share. Don’t reveal sensitive personal information to anyone online, like your home address or banking information. Doing so could result in you having your identity stolen.
- Take advantage of privacy settings. Customizing your privacy settings to control who sees what can help you avoid trouble with shady social media users.
Oxford at Santa Clara Apartments in Pflugerville, Texas