The name, sliders, originated in the 1940s, when sailors in the U.S. Navy would refer to mini-burgers as "sliders" because in just one or two bites, the burger would just slide right down! The slider was first created at White Castle, a popular American fast-food chain restaurant. But, as interesting as it is to reminisce about the history of these mini-burgers, we are now in the era of the gourmet slider. Sliders are featured at some of the most upscale restaurants in the country with chefs inventing new combinations.
With celebrity chefs, like Bobby Flay, Rachael Ray, and Martha Stewart, championing the slider on their TV shows, the hype and popularity surrounding these tiny treats show no sign of letting up soon. From buffalo chicken sliders to Cuban-style sliders, we love them all. This deli ham and swiss cheese version is a classic recipe that never goes out of style – check out everything you need below!
• 12 Hawaiian style rolls cut in half crosswise, unseparated
• 3/4 pound deli ham, thinly sliced
• 1/2 pound swiss cheese, sliced
• 6 tablespoons butter, melted
• 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
• 1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
• cooking spray
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
2. Place the bottom half of the rolls on the pan. Layer the ham on top of the rolls, then layer the cheese over the ham. Place the tops of the rolls over the cheese.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, mustard, poppy seeds, dried onion, and Worcestershire sauce.
4. Drizzle the butter mixture over the tops of the rolls. Cover the sandwiches with foil and bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
5. Uncover the rolls and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes until the tops of the rolls are lightly browned.
6. Sprinkle parsley over the top. Cut into individual sandwiches and serve immediately.
After a long day, it can be tempting to order take-out for dinner. Instead of settling, the team at Oxford at Santa Clara Apartments in Pflugerville, Texas would like to suggest this delicious and nutritious alternative!